Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 2 Reading: Give Them an A

The Zanders propose that in our social dynamics with others, that we see them as an "A" student. If we see others as an "A," we are likely to treat them better and overlook their flaws. I believe that this is a good practice, and one that I have attempted to do in my fallible ways. I try not to be judgmental, unless my belief system determines that something is sinful. The Bible states that God does not judge people the way humans judge each other, because God sees the inside and essence of a person. He sees the facades stripped away and the bare soul of a person. Since I am not able to do this, then it would be prudent to give everyone an "A," so that I am not pretentious; however, due to my belief system, that which is perceived as sin cannot be tolerated, and yet, as a sinner, it is not wise to judge others lest I be judged by my own standards. Therefore, I can call a sin what it is, and yet not equate the human with the sin.
An example of this is stealing. I have had many things stolen from me during my lifetime: a bike, car stereo system, money, tools, generator, fishing equipment, and more. Stealing does not only take from you a possession, but it also invades your privacy and personal space. I have to admit that I felt violated by those who stole from me. I felt helpless since there was never any closure. The police did not apprehend the criminals nor were the items ever recovered. Due to my belief system and experiences, I have a very strong reaction toward stealing. When you take something that belongs to someone else, then it is stealing, and I abhor the sin. Therefore, in order to give anyone an “A,” you must be able to look past the sin. As Roz Zander stated in “The Art of Possibility,” she had to work past the sins of her father and recognize that he loved her. She had to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him imagined grace.
In an earlier blog I discussed copyright laws and the Swedish pirates. I have to give the Swedish pirates and “A” and look past the sin of stealing, besides they are apparently very good at what they do. Just as any world drug dealer does not care about international law or the laws of America, the dealer is just trying to make a living in a capitalistic world. The poor beggar on any street that steals a loaf of bread for his family and is caught and put in jail…he gets an “A,” too. He just failed at getting away with it.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting take on "Giving an 'A'," and another indication on what was wrong with calling the chapter "giving an 'A'" because no one "gives" anything. The music students are brought into the process of what is expected for them to have earned the A and then the instructor is the coach empowering them to live up to the commitment they made when they wrote about what it was they did (past-tense) to get their A. It's not a "removal" of a standard but a realignment so that the learner is responsible to living up to or at least towards their own expectation. As far as "giving others A" it's meant to express the kind of relationships that we need to have, such that you can't give an A to someone you have no connection to. In later chapters they'll talk about how to deal with those who would take from us and how when justice is not ours to enforce we can own the event and not surrender our power when someone has already wronged us.

    ReplyDelete